Monday, June 7, 2010

Process Writing

The projects that we have done throughout the quarter have all been extremely interesting to me, and they have taught me a lot about myself and my writing process.
The number one thing I learned in the class was probably a combination of my shyness and procrastination, and how these two factors can affect every part of the process of writing a narrative piece. Ironically enough, my first piece in the class was about my journey through high school and college and how my perfectionism and procrastination has changed throughout that tie period, and this class provided another piece to the story. Whether it was because I was nervous about pursuing interview subjects, or simply because I was unhappy with how my writing process was proceeding, I had time when I was very unhappy with my work and sometimes missed deadlines. My goal was to learn to let go, and to be more comfortable with putting my thoughts on paper without having to make them absolutely perfect the first time, and I think I have been able to succeed somewhat. While my promptness with deadlines has not necessarily gotten better in the class, I have gotten much better at letting go of my insecurities and moving forward with assignments and topics.
Another thing that I have learned a lot about in this class is my writing process. While I may not be the fastest writer, I think that the assignments in this class have allowed me to connect more deeply with my subjects, and therefore has allowed me to show the reader more about them in my pieces. In the piece I wrote about Dairy Mart/Circle K, I had several conversations with the manager Teri, and felt like I got to know her relatively well, so I was able to think of her as I was writing and put more of her in my piece.
As a whole, this class has been very helpful to me, both personally and academically. It has helped to work on personal issues such as perfectionism and procrastination, it has forced me to stop being shy and take charge, and it has helped me to connect more deeply with people and think about how to tell their stories to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment