Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Profile Pitch

For my profile, I am hoping to write about Woodward Elementary School. Woodward School for Technology and Research is K-5 elementary school a few blocks away from the Kalamazoo College campus, and many K students have worked at Woodward as tutors. I tutored first and fourth grade students there during my freshman and sophomore year, and even though I have been unable to work there more recently because of study abroad and scheduling, I still have a big interest in the school.

I have contacted Principal Beth Yankee by phone, but she was out of the office when I called (which, as I learned from my time volunteering in the main office, she is often, because she spends much of her day moving throughout the school) but I plan to call back as soon as possible, and I also recently found her email address so I am emailing her as well.

I hope to spend some of my free time in the next few weeks at Woodward, interacting with the faculty, staff, and students as much as I am able. Depending on what access I end up having and what experiences I have, I will be able to decide which direction I want to go with the profile.

I believe that I am well suited to write this piece because of my previous experiences tutoring at Woodward. The experience was very important to me, as I love working with children and I also am very interested in developmental psychology, and it even made me consider whether I would like to become a teacher. I hope that I can interact with some of the faculty, staff, and children that I have previously worked with, and that will help me get a deeper look into what the school is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment